Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Failing Foward and Setting Goals

I can't believe that I let a year pass between entries.  
One of my goals has been to better use my time.  I go into work early to make sure that I am ready when my kids arrive.  This also helps me avoid the height of rush hour traffic in the morning.  I'd rather be accomplishing things at school than sitting in traffic. Anyway, I've been putting a lot of thought and effort into who I want to be.  Maybe it is a midlife crisis?  

I started to think about the things I want to accomplish and the person I want to be. This required me to create a plan to reach these goals.  Here's a glimpse at my progress:

 In 2016, I set a reading goal to read fifteen books.  I came up one short, needing to create a plan to reach this goal this year.  I set the same goal for this year.  In May, I am already more than halfway there.  I've been carrying my Kindle in my purse so I can read during down times that would usually be spent mindlessly surfing my phone.  

I have always wanted to be a runner.  I loved the idea of running.  In fact, running is the only thing I've ever actually tried at and failed.  (There are plenty of things I cannot do, such as dancing, that I cannot do.  However, I've never tried to be a dancer.)  I've started the Couch 2 5 K program more times than I care to admit.  I joined a beginner's runner group.  This combined two of my anxiety triggers: meeting new people and public failure.  I'm about to complete Week Eleven, which requires both 18 and 20-minute stretches of running.  The goal is to be able to run a 5K.  I am so proud of myself for sticking with it.  I'm currently creating a plan to maintain my hard work.  I'm finally to run, I mean jog.  I don't want to loose momentum.  

My last goal is to spend more time writing.  So much of my life is documented in journals; I want to keep going into my adulthood.  Liam takes ninja skills classes at a local gym.  I've been bringing my Kindle and reading of bringing my laptop and completing schoolwork while he is climbing and completing obstacle courses.  I made the decision to start writing again during this time.  It gives me an hour or so to get out my thoughts and reflect.  I'd like to continue doing this.  

I hope that it doesn't come off as conceited sharing these thoughts.  I am quite proud of what I have accomplished and hoped to achieve even more in the future.  I am incredibly lucky to have a husband who supports my endeavors and watching Liam while I'm out and about. 




No comments:

Post a Comment